Saturday, October 27, 2012

Práctica begins!

Something I meant to mention in my last post, but forgot to, is that I flew with ryanair airlines to Paris. And basically, during the flight I had to ask myself, why would anyone pay to go to an amusement park and ride roller coasters when they could just fly ryanair?

Anyway, as mentioned in the title, my práctica (internship) began this week. I thought that I would be helping to teach english classes, but no. I got there and was informed that I will actually be helping teach social studies, math, and natural sciences, but in english since it's a partially bilingual school. It should be interesting, but also not exactly what I was expecting. All of the schools here follow a block schedule, so I will be helping with different classes Tuesdays and Thursdays. So basically both days that I was there this week were like "first days." In two of the classes I just basically sat there because they didn't have anything for me to do yet, but in the other two I helped give the lesson. It was a little awkward when I corrected the science teacher about whether or not whales are mammals. I'm hoping he just didn't realize what "whale" translates to. Other than that, my experience last week was good but it looks my Tuesdays and Thursdays I will be busy from when I get up in the morning to when I end class at 8pm and with only an hour break for lunch (hmm sounds like my Uni days).

Something else of note that happened this week: Liz comes running into my room saying "ven ven ven" (come come come) so I went and her and Silvia were returning to the apartment when they noticed that the cleaning lady had left the door to the roof unlocked (not part of our apartment) so we got to go up on the official top of the building from which we had an awesome view of the mountains, the alhambra, and the fancy cathedral in Granada (which our apartment doesn't face). Here is a picture of the cathedral from what felt like the top of Granada:


Not much else really happened this week...but I did decide that I am going to be a cheetah for halloween. Liz is going to be a peacock, and our friend Morgan is going to be Cleopatra. Ironically enough, Cleopatra had a pet cheetah (and who knows, maybe she had a pet peacock too). The word for peacock is also kind of funny because it literally translates to "real turkey" (pavo real). So while I am normally of the opinion that animal print clothing is slightly trashy, I bought a cheetah print scarf and dress that looked better than I expected, so I will probably wear it again. I still want to find cheetah print leggings, which shouldn't be hard, but we shall see how much they cost. So, you may be wondering, is Halloween a big deal here in Spain? The answer is yes and no. Some areas celebrate it and some don't. However, the following day, All Saint's Day, is huge and celebrated everywhere here usually by going and bringing flowers to the graves of loved ones. But anyway, back to Halloween, I'm getting the vibe that because Granada has so many study abroad students from the U.S., Halloween has been made a bigger deal.

This weekend has not been and probably will not be superbly eventful because most of my friends are gone on excursions with their programs or otherwise, but I plan to go for a frigid run (and by frigid I mean upper 50s Fahrenheit) and explore a part of Granada I haven't really been to yet (which there are still plenty of). The disadvantage to the rain we got this week is that it also got colder, and heating and insulation are not a thing here. Two VERY eventful things did happen this morning/today though.
Firstly, I had a dream mostly in Spanish last night. Granted, it was on the oh so interesting topic of how disgusting porta potties are (why was my subconscious thinking about that...), but still, definitely a good sign.

Secondly, I was petting Luna this morning and heard her purring (quite similar to her growling) and she let me pick her up! I don't think she realized what was happening... because when she did the claws came out and she latched herself to the couch, but it was a beautiful short moment. As for tortuga, he has spent the last few days hiding from the cold in his shell. If only he knew that moving is what makes you warm.

2 comments:

  1. When I was hiking through France, we met some guy who said you could fly Ryanair from France to Portugal for 15 euros. I guess this explains why.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just happen to know a certain former school counselor that could hook you up with some cheetah print leggings... ;)

    ReplyDelete