Saturday, August 25, 2012

Annnddd we're off!

Disclaimer: As I type this post please forgive any errors since I am very sleep deprived.

Anyway, after many tearful goodbyes (I miss you all!) my Dad and I took off from Willard onward to Chicago and then Madrid (for those who don't know, my dad and one of our family friends are here for the first nearly week to tour around and help me get my host family situation under control... which will happen Monday we hope!).

So after landing in Chicago we are sitting at our next gate and I see a blurry figure (no glasses) that appears to be calling my name. I was like "wow that's funny there must be another Marie here and this person is really shocked to see her" but then who should appear but EMMA COVERDILL! As fate would have it, we were on the same flight. Crazy, right? What a beautiful sight, like a touch of light!
...moving right along, the time zone adjustment thing is weird because sleeping on the plane was next to impossible and it feels so late but back in chambana people are probably just now waking up! and instead of helping us sleep on the plane they helped us eat by giving us two meals that probably only exist on airplane time (as in not on the normal body clock schedule).

After arriving in Madrid my dad's spanish friend who lives here has been giving us a guided tour which is great because he speaks english and spanish (a big plus, everyone talks so fast here!). We began by having a traditional Spanish breakfast of toast with tomato and olive oil and salt and coffe. We then walked around and went to the Prado, which was very cool minus the mean security guard that scolded me not to take pictures even though there were no signs (really there were no signs, it wasn't just me not reading them). Then I snuck a sip of water from my backpack without realizing that it was sneaky because that's just what I do and he gave me the most twisted grin of disgust (and once again, no signs!).

We then ate lunch, and after a break will be eating dinner soon! My brain has no idea what to do with all these meals.

So, after a good portion of a day in Madrid, here are some key observations in no particular order:
1. There appears to be NO one out and about until well after 8 am
2. Rompers are a thing here
3. They have motorcycles with 2 wheels in the front and 1 in the back
4. motorcycles can literally park wherever they want
5. no drinking fountains :(
6. Everyone looks like Penelope Cruz! (not really true, but there are a lot of gorgeous people)
7. the euro to dollar exchange rate is awesome right now! (or terrible depending on how you look at it)
That's all I can think of but i'm sure there will be more to come later.

As I figure out my host family situation (I wasn't really nervous about this before, but now that I'm across the sea I am a wee bit on the nervous side. But it will all work out I'm sure!) and we make the trek to Granada I will keep you all posted, but for now hasta luego!

5 comments:

  1. When has your brain ever had a problem handling extra meals? Extra meals are what we live for!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! I can totally see you sneaking water German class style!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i agree with nikita! Also so cool that you ran into emma there. And that security guard reminds me of our subbie year field trip.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No drinking fountains?! I guess the only way to refill your water bottles must be a trip to the beach. Just kidding, but that does sound awful! I'm glad to hear you're safe and sound, keep us posted!

    P.S. The security guard sounds like hcrussell. No joke.

    ReplyDelete
  5. lol at our subbie year field trip. HE WAS SUCH AN ASSHOLE.

    I was reading this in the hall before my French class, which is located in the hotel school, and at the hotel school, they always have to wear suits to class. So I felt really out of place anyway, but then when I read this classic Marie line "Then I snuck a sip of water from my backpack without realizing that it was sneaky because that's just what I do," I started to laugh really loud. Like not just "HAH" it was an all out Christina-repeatedly-squeaking laugh.

    All the suits looked at me. :(

    ANYWAY. I'm glad you're enjoying yourself. Don't wear rompers. They go straight up your ass. <3

    ReplyDelete